Vertx Partners helps our nation solve pressing national security challenges through partnership with America’s innovators
Vertx is a company that empowers connection. Our mission is to disrupt the status quo by lowering the bar of entry into federal contracting for pioneering solutions to breakthrough technology.
We do this by cultivating relationships and partnerships built on trust and expertise while connecting small businesses to like-minded individuals to generate innovative solutions within our growing network.
Our Senior Leadership
Retired Air Force Colonel Sean Frisbee founded Vertx Partners in 2021 to solve problems for the U.S. Air Force while bettering the economy of West Virginia. A former President & CEO of the WVU Alumni Association and once the Systems Program Director for the Pentagon’s F-22 Raptor program, Sean brings a veritable wealth of insider knowledge and cooperative know-how to Vertx’s mission to transform WV into a powerhouse for the national defense industry.
VP of External Relations
Scott Rotruck has a long history of building connections in the Mountain State. His resumé includes serving as Vice President of Chesapeake Energy, funding innovation as an individual Angel Investor, and now serving on boards throughout the state of West Virginia. Scott brings an invaluable level of collaboration to Vertx’s repertoire of services and assists in securing contracts for clients through his breadth of experience.
VP of Operations
Mary Warner Cook joined Vertx Partners in September of 2021, bringing to the team decades of experience and deep connections in the West Virginia business community. With an MBA from University College Dublin in Ireland and a bachelor’s in urban planning from the University of Cincinnati, Mary brings a multitude of skills in business development, entrepreneur support, project management, marketing, and communications.
Vertx Team Members
Jeff Grusy serves as Vertx Partners’ Senior Consultant, a role for which he is especially suited. His responsibilities include:
• Advises on Phases I & II of the Small Business Innovation Research (SBIR) and Small Business Technology Transfer (STTR) process, including identifying potential opportunities, mentoring on proposal techniques, and ensuring clientele comport to contracting protocol
• Jeff uses his experience in both the private and public spheres to consult on business development for Vertx clients, namely in optimizing their relationships with external partners
• Jeff draws on his sphere of influence to broaden the range of Vertx’s mission, thus ensuring new partners are brought into the fold, which can mutually benefit all parties
Senior Tech Transition Executive
Randy Hefner’s nearly four decades of government contracting experience make him a valuable asset to the Vertx Partners team. His responsibilities include:
• Randy’s expertise in business development and program/project management comes into play by ensuring Vertx clients receive expert consulting from the Vertx team and efficient service in the realm of federal contracting
• Serves as a general consultant for the contracting process, offering his professional insights on everything from locating opportunities, proposal development, and forming strong relationships with the federal government and our clients
• Connecting new Vertx partners, particularly those concentrated in aerospace and software, to our growing network of innovators, academics, and other entities
Chris Ford serves the southern Appalachian Region, starting with Tennessee. He’s also our Phase III SBIR/STTR specialist. His responsibilities include:
• Networking with a growing base of potential Vertx partners located in East Tennessee, thus fostering another arm of Vertx’s pan-Appalachian reach
• Identifying opportunities and potential partners for current Vertx clients looking to expand their operations with the federal government and/or East Tennessee partners
• Bridging the gaps between public, private, academic, and non-profit entities in East Tennessee to maximize the benefits of best practice partnerships
• Networking with a flourishing defense ecosystem in Central and Western Kentucky, furthering Vertx’s Appalachian reach
• Working with existing Vertx clients looking to expand their business into Kentucky
• Advising on Phase III SBIR/STTR protocol, including assisting with commercialization and sourcing funds
Join Our Network
Become one of the 40+ companies throughout Appalachia that rely on Vertx Partners for working with the federal government.